Monday, February 6, 2012

Replacing the seat in my nelo inuk



When I bought my nelo inuk kayak, I knew very well, that the factory seat was too narrow for my wide hips. I could just about fit in between the vertical edges, but could only rotate little bit in the seat.

So I decided to replace that seat with a high back racing seat. Peter Unold did the same thing a few years ago, and he used a board as a base for the seat. This increases the seat height, making the boat more tippy. I tried to install mine without changing seat height.


A kind friend made a aluminum bracket for the seat. I thereafter removed the factory seat and strengthened the hull with 6 layers of glass fiber. On top of that I glued in the bracket, using tec7 glue, Tec7 glue is easy to work with as it has the consistency of silicone or acrylic, and at the same time is said to be very strong and durable.

Here are some pictures of work in progress:







And thats me, Anders and Bent (photographer) enjoying a cup of coffee after all that hard work:



I haven't had the chance to try out the seat as I still need to mount new and better rudder lines and anyway Odense Fjord is frozen over.

1 comment:

  1. My nephew at his best!!
    Building, reconstructing this so his hips fit in !! :p
    Dirk, please tag Conrad so he can follow your actions and your blog. I will kindky translate where necessary !
    Kind regards 2 Marianne and Vincent.
    X .C.armen

    ReplyDelete